Abortion under 16 weeks
Where there's Choice, there's Hope.
Abortion procedures done at the Hope Clinic through the 15th week are completed in one day. The procedure is a combination of dilation of the cervix followed by a vacuum or suction aspiration of the uterus. This procedure is also known as dilation and curettage (D&C). It is successful 99% of the time and is extremely safe, with a low complication rate.
Pain medicine in the form of pills and an injection in the cervix is included in the fee. Intravenous (IV) sedation (moderate or "twilight" sedation) is optional up to 14 weeks.
- Most women will be able to return to regular activities within 1-2 days.
- When you choose this abortion method, a follow-up appointment is optional.
- You should expect to be at the clinic for about 6 hours.
- Please note that patients 10 weeks or under have the option of an in clinic procedure (described here) or the Medication/Pill Abortion
How is the procedure different than Medication/Pill Abortion?
The in clinic procedure is completed in one visit in the office. Compared to a medication/pill abortion, the procedure is shorter and completed in a predictable period, with a slightly higher successful completion rate. The side effects and risks are similar to a medication/pill abortion.
How safe if the procedure?
Research has proven over and over that first trimester abortion is extremely safe. It has no long term risks such as infertility, ectopic pregnancy, or birth defects. There is no association between abortion and breast cancer. When facing an unplanned pregnancy, there are no greater mental health issues in women who choose abortion than in those who carry the pregnancy to term.
Common side effects include abdominal cramping or pain and bleeding, and possibly nausea and sweating. Women may also experience spotting for two to six weeks following the procedure. Complications are very rare, but can include uterine or cervical perforation, pelvic infection and excess bleeding. Patients will be educated on warning signs of complications and encouraged to contact us immediately if symptoms develop.
- 6 to 10 weeks $540
- 11 weeks $560
- 12 weeks $560
- 13 weeks $660
- 14 weeks $720 (* fee includes IV sedation)
- 15 weeks $810 (* fee includes IV sedation)
THE FEE INCLUDES ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:
- lab work
- abortion procedure
- pain medication for procedure (pills/cervical injection)
- recovery care
- 24-hour phone access to an on-call provider
Optional Additional Service
- $60 optional intravenous (IV) sedation ("comfort shot")
- $25 sexually transmitted infection testing; includes treatment if needed
- birth control (fees vary by type): pills, injection, or condoms
- $25 optional two-week follow-up appointment
- $135 optional private care (private waiting and recovery with room for your support person)
If you have an Rh negative factor blood type, Rh immunoglobulin (i.e. Rhogam) will be recommended at the time of your appointment. Click HERE for more information.
Your fee is based on services rendered. Individual services include (but are not limited to): ultrasound $135, lab $50, counseling/education $40, outside (send out) labwork $60
Have You Had A C-Section?
If you are more than 13 weeks pregnant and have previously had a C-section, you may need a diagnostic ultrasound to determine the positioning of the placenta and assess for the risk of a condition called "placenta previa". Call us for detailed instructions.
What To Bring With You
- A support person/driver is welcome and is required if you want sedation.
- Photo IDs for yourself and anyone who comes with you
- Payment (cash, credit, debit, money order, or traveler's check)
- Please eat before you arrive. Food is not allowed in the building.